Wednesday 28 October 2009

My Play - Noises Off



As I've mentioned in previous posts, I am in a play.  I belong to my village amateur dramatics group and  we're doing Noises Off by Michael Frayn.  We've been rehearsing since the end of August and now we only have four weeks to go!!!  I've only just learnt my lines...tut tut!  I have had so much fun doing this play and have never laughed so much.  We may only be am-dram but our standards are pretty high and we do have quite the reputation!  I feel very lucky belonging to this group.  They are such a bunch of great people and they help me achieve what I love to do.
The play is about a professional theatre company who are putting on a play called "Nothing On".  The cast consists of a variety of people including a sickly-sweet woman, a veteran actor who is also keen on the old sauce!, a young man who is dating one of the cast ... who happens to be old enough to be his mother! A young airhead lady! A sappy man who keeps getting nose bleeds, a useless stage hand and a stage manager who is having an affair with the grumpy director ... who, by the way, is having an affair with the young airhead girl!  The first part of the play sees the cast rehearsing the night before they open.  It is then that the director's affairs surface!  In the second act the stage is reversed so that the audience can see everything that is happening back stage whilst the play is going on.  This is hysterical as you see people trying to keep the drunk away from the bottle of whisky that keeps appearing, the director comes on to make it up to the airhead but the stage manager keeps getting in the way! Also the sickly-sweet woman has a crush on the nosebleed man.  The older woman is also trying to get her claws into him as well as she and her young lover have had a spat.  I won't go any further as it is confusing!!!  But as you can see, it is very farcical.  Finally, in the last act, the stage is reversed again and the play goes on.  Except this time the cast have all fallen out with each other and they can't be bothered to do the play... so things go badly wrong!
I play the sickly-sweet girl called Belinda who always ends her sentences with "my sweet"  or "precious" or "darling".
Sorry if I have bored you with this.  I just enjoy doing these plays so much that I wanted to share it with you.
I've been doing Am-Dram for 5 years now and have done a variety of plays.  I shall post some other pix if you want.  I love doing plays that are set in the 20s, 30s or 40s because I love doing my hair and make up in that style.  I will try and find some photos of my hair that I did for the last play I was in.
Anyway I will stop waffling now!
x

2 comments:

MightyLambchop said...

This sounds like fun! I haven't seen this play in forever but it is a lot of fun. Break a leg!

Jodes said...

Thank you! i'm really excited but at the same time very nervous! We haven't had a full cast at rehearsals yet! Oh well it's all part of the fun and games.

x